Happy Tuesday y'all! I (Rebecca) wanted to share with y'all a post from my personal blog from several weeks ago! I don't know about y'all but sometimes people say to me- "I'm praying for you" but sometimes people are honest and say, "I really don't know what to pray for you". I am so thankful for their honesty and have found this list to be extremely helpful to hand to those who are truly wondering what they can pray for someone struggling with a chronic health condition. I hope you find this helpful friends!
1. Pray for their Hope. Dealing with a chronic health condition day in and day out is extremely taxing and is physically and emotionally difficult. Pray that your friend will always find their hope in the midst of this struggle.
"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."
2. Pray that they will know that God has not abandoned them. After dealing with pain or illness day in and day out it can be difficult to remember that God has not abandoned you. Pray that they will see God's mighty love and power despite their circumstances.
"For He has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; He has not hidden His face from them, but has listened to their cry for help."
3. Pray for relief from their Pain. Pain is one of the most difficult things to deal with as pain often accompanies every chronic health condition. Pray for your friend that they would have relief.
"You comfort me..."
-Psalm 71: twenty-one-
4. Pray that they will see a Light at the End of their Struggle. The old saying, "its hard to see the forest when you are in the woods" is definitely true for someone struggling with chronic health issues. It is so easy to say "this will get better" to someone but to actually live every waking moment feeling miserable is extremely difficult. Pray that your friend will know the truth of this scripture:
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?"
5. Pray for their Strength to meet Each Day. Dealing with a chronic health condition wipes the strength of each person. Pray for their strength.
"And as your days are, so shall thy strength be."
6. Pray for Peace and Acceptance. While we pray for healing, let us also pray that our friends will find peace and acceptance in the day before them. Amy Carmichael, a missionary to India once said, "In Acceptance lies peace". This does not mean acceptance randomly that we pray for but for acceptance that the Lord has allowed this.
"He is the Lord, let him do what is good in His eyes."
-I Samuel 3:eighteen-
7. Pray for Purpose. The most difficult thing in dealing with a chronic health issue is dealing with a loss of self and purpose. Many times people have to leave a job they loved, give up driving a car, and essentially lose who "they were". To handle all this takes incredible grace and courage and faith that is impossible to explain unless you live it. Pray that your friend will see the purpose the Lord has during this season.
"The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me."
8. Pray for the Desires of their Heart. Many times those that have had to give up so much of who they are have also had to give up dreams and desires for the future (or at least the immediate future). For me personally this has been one of the most difficult aspects of this journey and I hear that from others too. While many people are getting engaged, getting married, having children, finding their dream job, buying a house, traveling the world, going on vacation, etc. the person with a chronic health condition is just trying to live each day and sees their dreams disappearing. Pray that the Lord will comfort them and give them the desires of their heart.
"May He give you the desires of your heart and make all your plans succeed. May we shout for joy... May the Lord grant all of your requests."
-Psalm 20:four & five-
9. Pray for their Symptoms (and Side Effects) to Go Away. When dealing with a chronic health condition a person might experience over a hundred different symptoms every day!! Many times necessary medication adds additional side effects that are very uncomfortable. If your friend is open ask specifically how you can pray for this area but if they choose not to share(sometimes the side effects and symptoms are embarrassing) pray in general for this very important aspect of struggling with a chronic health condition.
"May the Lord answer you when you are in distress, May the God of Jacob save you."
10. Pray against Discouragement. Dealing with a chronic health condition can be pure agony. Pray for your friend as they struggle with discouragement.
"Hear my prayer Lord, listen to my cry for help; do not be deaf to my weeping."
- Psalm 39:twelve-
11. Pray for their Hearts as friends & family members Leave. One of the most difficult things of this entire journey for me personally was dealing with the fact that friends and family members that I thought were true and faithful friends left. It was heart-wrenching and incredibly hurtful. As I watched friends leave who I thought would walk this journey with me, as I had walked difficult times with them, the loneliness and pain was so difficult. I am so thankful for so many friends and family members who have stayed, been such a blessing and new friends who have come along on this journey but this unfortunately is a reality for those with chronic health issues. Please pray for your friends heart during the grief of losing friends along the journey and that they find refuge in the Lord.
"I looked for sympathy but there was none..."
"Whom have I in Heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you... But as for me it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge."
-Psalm 73:twenty-five & twenty-eight-
12. Pray that no matter where your friend is (their bedroom because they are bed-ridden, a hospital, an ER, a doctors office, therapy, etc.) they will find Hope that the Lord is there. One of the most difficult things about a chronic health condition is that you never know what a day could bring. Pray that your friend would find comfort and Hope that no matter where they are or what their surroundings are they can find rest in the Lord. Pray that your friend will know that no matter the disease or ailment the Lord is in the midst of that and is Mighty.
"Lord, Thou has been our Dwelling Place through All Generations."
"The Lord thy God is with you, the Mighty Warrior saves. He will take great delight in You; in His love He will rejoice over you with Singing."
I hope these ideas have been helpful y'all! If you would like a copy of these twelve things to print out please email us and we will email you a word document! Thank you for all of the prayers you have prayed for me on this journey! Sometimes when you are praying for someone with a chronic health condition you may feel that you are not "seeing" any results or doing anything, but the truth is you are!! God promises that He hears our prayers and He does hear yours! Keep praying for your friends!! You are a blessing!!